WHO WE ARE
Modo’s Purpose is to transform communities by connecting people with places in a way that’s affordable, convenient, inclusive and sustainable. Driven by people – not profit – Modo was the first carshare to open shop in BC back in 1997. We are fueled by our desire to create more livable communities by reducing our collective dependency on car ownership. Our promise is to provide an exceptional carsharing experience.
Modo is a thriving co-op in the fast-paced shared mobility sector. Our employees share a passion for social impact and support one another to do our best. You’ll be making a significant contribution to your community and the shared mobility landscape.
We are seeking a qualified individual to join our Agile coding team to develop Modo’s proprietary software system, which is used by Modo members as well as North American carsharing licensees.
WHAT OUR FULL STACK WEB DEVELOPER WILL DO
Working with a cross-functional team, you will develop and maintain Modo’s platform for the sharing of vehicles, implementing beautiful and effective user interfaces, clean and efficient API connections, and consistent, well-documented business logic. Reporting to Modo’s Director of Information Systems – a true industry pioneer – you will join a team who want to make a difference in their communities. Our ideal candidate would have most of the following qualifications:
- Degree in Computer Science or at least two years of programming experience
- At least two years working with PHP or a similar language like C++, C# or Java
- At least two years working in a SQL database environment
- At least one year working with Laravel
- At least one year working with React
- Some experience working with versioning systems
- Some experience building and using RESTful APIs
- Some experience working within an Agile/Scrum software development team
ATTRIBUTES WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Our business is built on exceptional service. We set the bar high and strive to exceed member expectations. To excel in this position, you need to be prepared to deliver outstanding service by having:
- A technical mindset with exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to translate technical concepts for non-technical stakeholders, internal and external
- Proven analytical skills, both qualitative and quantitative
- Awareness of latest technologies and discipline to know when to use them vs proven solutions
- The ability to work in both self-directed and collaborative situations
- A service-oriented attitude and willingness to pitch in and collaborate
WHAT WE OFFER OUR EMPLOYEES
The best thing about working at Modo is the people. Each year we survey our employees and we know how connected everyone feels to Modo’s Purpose, and how much employees respect and support one another. We are a diverse and inclusive workplace striving to ensure everyone feels like they belong and that they are heard.
This is an exciting time for Modo, and this position provides an opportunity to make your mark in an exciting industry. We are a fun and friendly company with a personable and professional member service offering. If you like working with a successful team and representing a longstanding, recognized, and well-respected brand, this job would be perfect for you.
You’ll have the continued support of a close-knit team who are committed to your success. Modo also invests in your training and development, and we offer attractive health and wellness benefits. The posted salary range for this position is $55K to $60K per year, based on experience.
How to Apply
Modo is a proud equal opportunity organization and certified Living Wage Employer, and we actively strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We especially welcome applications from folks identifying with underrepresented groups – if that speaks to you, you’re invited to let us know in your cover letter or resume, including any accommodations that may be required due to a disability.
Though our main office is physically situated in Vancouver, we welcome candidates who live in any of our service areas: Metro Vancouver, Greater Victoria, Nanaimo, Squamish, or Kelowna. Our work culture is dynamic and flexible between office-based work and remote work (even when it’s not covid times!).
To be considered, please submit the following in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your GitHub (or similar) repo page, and describe your individual contribution, if you were part of a team;
- Your resume to indicate the level of experience with our listed qualifications;
- Your cover letter to tell us why you’d be a great team member at Modo.
We greatly appreciate your interest in Modo, and wish you all the best with your application.